Saturday 25 May 2013

Regardless of political allegiances, reason must always prevail

The Latin phrase cogito ergo sum (French: "je pense donc je suis"; English: "I think, therefore I am") is a philosophical proposition by René Descartes. Whatever our political allegiances, reason must always prevail.

The story goes that there were three religious men: one Protestant priest, one Catholic Priest and one Jewish Rabbi.

The Protestant priest told the story about repression: 'One day, they came and took away the Jewish Rabbi and I did not nothing to help him because he was a Jewish Rabbi. The next day, they came and took away the Catholic priest and I did not nothing to help him because he was a Catholic priest. The following day, they came and took me away and the Jewish Rabbi and the Catholic priest were not there to be able to help me.'

We think therefore we exist. Innocents must be protected. Mobs might be conducive to lynching but mobs are never conducive to social justice.

Whatever our political beliefs, we must ensure that the principle that everybody is innocent until proven guilty prevails.

No comments:

Post a Comment