Sunday, 20 October 2013

Eating habits, Political and Religious Beliefs

One of the big issues of today is what we eat and what we don't eat and for some people political and religious beliefs have a lot to do with it. I enjoy seafood, fish, beef, chicken, lamb and pork, and pork chops with apple sauce are almost my staple food. I don't deprive myself because of any religious nonsense.

Luckily, I was born in the Christian tradition and I wasn't brainwashed with myths and stupidity. The day will come, in a world with more than 7 billion people, when we will have to eat what we can eat and this might include fellow human beings and the choices will be very straightforward: eat or starve to death.

In October 1972, an airplane carrying a group of Uruguayan rugby players and some of their relatives fell in the Andes. The survivors found themselves dealing with temperatures below zero and they only managed to survive eating the corpses of those who succumbed.

The mother of one of the Uruguayan rugby players was my biology teacher in high-school when the accident happened so I was very much in touch with developments. There are very harsh lessons to learn. Faced with starvation, they could only survive feeding on the bodies of those who had died.

Hopefully, I will never find myself in such desperate circumstances but what happened taught me to ignore any religious nonsense.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment